Fairfield Police and West Essex First Aid Squad Avert Near Tragedy, Thursday, on Pier Lane; Public Reminded of the Need for Carbon Monoxide Detectors
by Carolyne Volpe Curley / Carolyne@WestEssexNOW.com
FAIRFIELD, NJ - Early Thursday morning at 4am, the Fairfield Police Department responded to a Pier Lane residence to provide medical assistance to a 47-years old woman who was experiencing convulsions. While she was being cared for, three other members of the household reported to the officers that they were light-headed, having difficulty breathing and suffering from headaches. The West Essex First Aid Squad soon after arrived.
"Members of the West Essex First Aid Squad arrived on scene
After the EMTs expressed to police that Carbon Monoxide Poisoning was likely the cause of the emergencies, the house was immediately evacuated. Eventually, four individuals were transported to St. Joseph’s Hospital in Paterson for treatment; no emergency responders required any treatment.
Manna stated that the source of the carbon monoxide was traced to a faulty hot water heater in the basement; there were no working carbon monoxide detectors in the home.
“This situation emphasizes all too clearly the importance
Carbon Monoxide Sources
Carbon Monoxide is a colorless, odorless and tasteless gas which is produced by appliances that give off combustion fumes, particularly those that burn fuels including:
Carbon Monoxide Poisoning Symptoms
The Fairfield Police Departments wants to alert the public that Carbon monoxide poisoning occurs when an individual inhales too much carbon monoxide and not enough oxygen and at that point serious tissue damage can occur. According to the Mayo Clinic, symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning include:
These symptoms can be particularly dangerous for anyone who is asleep or intoxicated.
Carbon monoxide poisoning can lead to: