by Carolyne Volpe Curley / Carolyne@WestEssexNOW.com
CALDWELL - Caldwell Police Chief James Bongiorno reported that on Monday, Caldwell Police responded to Erwin Place for a cooking fire. It was immediately put out by an officer using an extinguisher but resulted in a heavy smoke condition. The Caldwell Fire Department was able to clear the smoke from the residence and West Essex First Aid Squad evaluated residents for smoke inhalation.
Human Services Coordinator Maria Burak contacted the Red Cross which was able to provide food, housing and clothing for the residents.