CALDWELL, NJ - Tuesday morning, at about 9:45am, the Caldwell Fire Department and Caldwell Police responded to the scene of the strip mall located at 155 Roseland Avenue, Caldwell. Reports came in of a ruptured high-pressure gas line and the building was quickly evacuated.
"They are repaving our parking lot and
By 10:11am, the Essex Fells Fire Department and Essex Fells Police responded to the scene with mutual aid as a precautionary measure.
The leaking gas could be heard and smelled as of 10:35am when these pictures were taken by John Paul Foley.
PSEG arrived to turn off the main gas lines and Roseland Avenue was closed, in both directions, at Runnymede / Forest Avenue as well as at Bloomfield Avenue until the incident was cleared by authorities.
Three buildings - from 147 to 155 Roseland Avenue - were eventually evacuated by 10:42am.
The road was opened again, and the area deemed safe, by 11:20am. PSEG remained on the scene evaluating.
CALDWELL, NJ - On Friday evening, the Caldwell Volunteer Fire Department gathered at the Hanover Manor in East Hanover for their annual dinner. Fire Chief Gary Garamella honored many of the volunteers for their dedication to the department.
35 Years of Service
Brian White was honored with an engraved award recognizing his commitment to the Caldwell Fire Department with over 35 years of service.
25 Years of Service
Chief Garamella presented Firefighter Jeff Madar with a plaque honoring Madar's 25 years of service with the department.
20 Years of Service
Glenn Schneider was recognized for volunteering with the Fire Department for 20 years.
Retired Caldwell Firefighter William Illge was honored with a plaque which showcased his now retired number, 41.